The Daily Building Record, April 18, 1912, page 1, had a short article on this house:
“Handsome Bungalow for West End
The Dominion Const. Supply Co., Inc., Canada Life bldg. has been awarded the general contract for the erection of a frame bungalow at the corner of Chilco and Pendrell sts., for Dr. T.H. Wilson, which will cost approximately $7500.
The residence will be two and a half stories, with rough siding for the first floor, shingled exterior for the upper floors, with rough cast plaster gables. It will contain nine rooms and large reception hall; hardwood floors and beamed ceilings, fir panels, concrete basement, in which will be laundry, drying room, etc.; hot water heat, and every modern device are among the specifications. The excavation, begun yesterday, has been let to Lindberg & Lund, Metropole Hotel. The general contractors will not be ready for figures on any other of the minor contracts for about three weeks.”
In 1930, the house was called “Chula Vista”, which is Spanish for “beautiful view.”
Legal Description: District Lot 185, Block 70, Lots 28 and 29.
There is one reference to this property in Heritage Vancouver Society’s database of historic building permits: http://permits.heritagevancouver.org/index.php?cID=1 [searched December 30, 2013].
|Owner:||Wilson, T. H. (Dr.)|
|Architect:||Gordon, L. E.|
|Builder:||Dominion Construction Co.|
|Legal Address:||DL: 185 Block: 70 Sub: Resub: Lot: 28-29|
|Street Name:||Chilco Street|
|Remarks:||Dwelling/house; two-storey frame residence [DBR]|
The architect appears to be Lindsay E. Gordon. In 1912, he had an office at 65, 429 West Pender Street; he lived at 749 East 14th Avenue in Vancouver.
Vancouver directory listings for 1142 Chilco Street:
|1913 to 1927||Wilson, Thomas Haddow|