Legal Description: District Lot 185, Block 70, Lots 12 and 13.There is one reference to this property in Heritage Vancouver Society’s database of historic building permits: http://permits.heritagevancouver.org/index.php?cID=1.
|Owner:||Edwards, G. S.|
|Architect:||Brown, J. G.|
|Builder:||Brown, J. G.|
|Legal Address:||DL: 185 Block: Sub: Resub: Lot:|
|Street Number:||1850 |
|Street Name:||Chilco Street|
|Remarks:||Dwelling/House; Frame garage [DBR] [ledger error – there is no ‘1800-blk’ of Chilco]|
Vancouver directory listings from 1903 to 1920:
|1904 to 1908 (also 1902, although not listed in directories)||Cannon, Hubert Cecil Harold|
|1909 to 1912; 1915 to 1918||Battle, Charles Smith|
|1913 to 1914||Edwards, Chandler Starr|
|1919||Sylvester, Frank McClellan|
|1920||Mackenzie, Alexander L.|
The Battle family returned to live in the house during the 1920s and 1930s.
In 1939, the house was offering rental accommodation.
In December 1940, the contents of the house were for sale.
In 1941, the City of Vancouver issued a building permit to alter the housekeeping rooms in the house, and the house offered rental accommodation until the 1950s.In 1956, the house was for sale.
In 1958, house wreckers were demolishing the house.
By 1959, a new apartment building called “The Safari” was on the site, with an address of 1050 Chilco Street.