Joseph Anderson was the manager of the Union Bank. He lived at 1860 Comox Street from 1914 to 1916.
Joseph was born in Ontario in April 1876. His wife, Margaret, was born in Ontario in February 1876.
In 1905, he opened a branch of the Union Bank in Smithville, Ontario.
He arrived in Vancouver about 1911, where he became the manager of the Union Bank at 97 west Cordova Street. He and Margaret lived at 839 Jervis Street from 1911 to 1912. In 1913, they were at 1531 Beach Avenue.
From 1914 to 1916, they were at 1860 Comox Street.
On October 16, 1916, the society column of Vancouver Province had the following announcement: “Mr. Joseph Anderson, 1860 Comox street, manager for the past six years of the Granville street branch of the Union Bank of Canada, has been transferred to the Calgary branch of the bank.”
In 1917, Joseph was the manager of the Union Bank at 138 Eighth Avenue East in Calgary. He was living at 1734 Tenth Street West.
He later became an inspector for the Union Bank.
1911 Census of Canada/British Columbia / Vancouver / 5 Vancouver City / page 28, family 277, lines 40 and 41, http://automatedgenealogy.com/census11/View.jsp?id=63831&highlight=40&desc=1911+Census+of+Canada+page+containing+Joseph+Anderson
Vancouver Province, October 18, 1916, pag3e 10: “Mr. Joseph Anderson, 1860 Comox street, manager for the past six years of the Granville street branch of the Union Bank of Canada, has been transferred to the Calgary branch of the bank.”
Henderson’s Directory, Calgary, 1917, page 246, http://peel.library.ualberta.ca/bibliography/2961.12/246.html: “Anderson, Joseph, Manager Union Bank of Canada, 138 Eighth Avenue East, Phone M5389. Res. 1734 Tenth Street West, Phone W1492.”
Smithville, Ontario – Barter, Banks And Banking, http://canada.yodelout.com/smithville-ontario-barter-banks-and-banking/: “Banks were invited to come in and give even a one-day a week service, but to no avail until June 22nd, 1905, when Mr. Joseph Anderson, an organizer of Branch Banks for the Union Bank of Canada, a Quebec institution, chartered in 1865 at Quebec City, came unsolicited into Smithville and opened a Branch of that Institution in the Murgatroyd Block, where Mr. J. A. Schnicks’ tailor shop used to be. Mr. Anderson became the first Manager of Smithville’s first chartered Bank. He is now an Inspector of that Institution, with headquarters at Toronto.”